Advocacy: Success Story
Friends of the National Institute of Dental
& Craniofacial Research - FNIDCR
FNIDCR is a broad-based 300-member coalition of individuals, institutions and corporations who understand the critical importance of dental, oral and craniofacial health to the well-being of society.
Our successful advocacy on behalf of FNIDCR includes:
- Developing a Legislative Action Plan to heighten awareness of the benefits of medical research to members of Congress (approved by committee and the board).
- Providing an ongoing government relations presence and building relationships on Capitol Hill.
- Scheduling meetings for oral health research stakeholders with key members of Congress and their staffs.
- Increasing the number of US representatives in the Congressional Oral Health Caucus from 5 to 26.
- Organizing the organization’s first Capitol Hill Day to include the participation of members of Congress who champion oral health research.
- Organizing informative Congressional Briefings for staff that conveyed the latest advances in oral health research.
- Ongoing monitoring of the federal budget and appropriations process to advocate for proper federal funding of NIH and one of its Institutes.
- Submitting Written Testimony recommending funding levels for medical research that was entered into the public record.
- Executing proactive measures to voice the consortium’s position to key congressional stakeholders, including advocating $10 billion in stimulus aid to NIH that was adopted.
- Working with congressional committee staff to ensure specific oral health research questions were raised before hearing witnesses.
- Working with congressional staff to support provisions in comprehensive bills that addressed oral health research funding.
- Creating and updating concise Fact Sheets to convey the important benefits of medical research to educate members of Congress and their staffs.
- Developing and updating content for the organization's web site advocacy section.
- Preparing content for the e-News sent to ensure the membership is kept apprised of developments in Washington.